Sobeys has provided the following bulletin to the union regarding bonus pay for Sobeys (Safeway) members:
COVID-19 (2019 Novel Coronavirus) – Update #10 March 22, 2020
Support for our Operations Heroes!
Our operations teams are playing an absolutely vital role in providing Canadians with the food, medicine and essentials they need for their families during this terrible crisis. We are humbled by the efforts our teammates are making each and every day, as you continue to step up and support the needs of our neighbours.
In recognition of your extraordinary efforts, we are announcing our Hero Pay Program.
The following premiums will be paid to our corporate store employees at Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Thrifty Foods, Foodland, FreshCo, and Lawtons Drug banners. Franchisees are strongly encouraged to adopt the same Hero Pay Program.
Store Non-Management Premium Amounts
• $50 per week premium, in addition to any hours worked during a week
• Additional $2.00 per hour, for hours worked above 20 hours a week
Important Dates for the Hero Pay Program
• Retroactive to March 8, 2020
• Premium ends April 30, 2020
• First payments for corporate employees will be made (per regional pay cycles):
• West and Quebec - April 2, 2020
• Atlantic and Ontario - April 9, 2020